After No Man’s Sky‘s rough launch last year that failed to meet the hype due to many missing features and broken promises, Hello Games has been hard at work cooking up patches to fully realize their original intentions for the game and much more.
The latest attempt at this is patch 1.3 titled “Atlas Rises” and is the biggest overhaul the game has seen to date. They’ve even taken the first steps towards making multiplayer reality, original a promised feature that didn’t make it in the final version. The new content is summarized below, but I recommend checking the main page for the patch to see it in more detail.
- 30 hours of branching story and deeper lore
- Procedurally generated guild missions
- Much deeper interstellar trading
- Star Systems have varying wealth, conflict and economies
- Overhauled Space combat controls, weapons and AI
- Portal stargates enable quick travel
- Terrain manipulation for more complex bases
- New farming and mining interactions bring increased depth
- Increased biome variety and Rare exotic biomes
- Analysis visor & discovery improvements
- Galaxy map and many other UI improvements
- New S Class ship designs
- Low altitude flight and the ability to crash your ship
- Crashed Freighters to salvage on planets
- Joint exploration
Could this be the patch that finally brings it to a point where it is worth buying? Time will tell, but multiple online retailers have been putting the game up for sale for a significant discount which could influence some.